Matomo, formerly Piwik, is a self-hosted analytics platform with many features. This article will cover Matomo’s strengths, weaknesses, and weaknesses. We'll introduce you to an exciting alternative. This innovative solution offers a fresh perspective, empowering you to make informed decisions.
- Simple Analytics: A Simpler Alternative
- Features comparison between Matomo and Simple Analytics
- FAQs: A Better Alternative to Matomo
Matomo is a Google Analytics alternative that provides both cloud and on-premise versions. The cloud version is recommended for those without the hassle of setting and managing the server, whereas the self-hosted version is for those with deep technical knowledge. It gives consumers complete control over their data and the flexibility to tailor the platform to their unique requirements and tastes.
Apart from web analytics, Matomo can also provide services such as collecting form inputs, SEO vitals checker, A/B testing tool, etc.
Pros of Matomo
- The self-hosted version is free to use
Cons of Matomo
- Payment is required to unlock additional features in the self-hosted version, and the cloud version lacks certain features.
- The UI might feel complex to some
- Cloud plans are expensive compared to other tools
Simple Analytics: A Simpler Alternative
Simple Analytics is an easy-to-use analytics tool that gives you the insights you need while being 100% GDPR-compliant.
It was founded by Adriaan van Rossum shortly after the GDPR was approved. Since its inception, Simple Analytics has had customers of all sizes, notable ones being: Michelin, Havas Media, Nomadlist, and the UK Government.
Though Simple Analytics might sound like a simple minimal analytics tool, it does pack some powerful features that many marketers love, such as automated event collection, goal tracking, e-commerce analytics, bypassing ad blockers (as it’s privacy-friendly), and much more.
Let's explore why it's become a preferred choice for businesses seeking reliable and affordable analytics tools.
Pros of using Simple Analytics
- Simple UI: • Simple Analytics is one of the most straightforward analytics tools. The dashboard is built in a way to easily understandable to non-marketers.
- Affordable: Tracking website and product metrics is pretty affordable with Simple Analytics. For just $9/month, you can track 100,000 data points (pageviews + events). Added points, you get features that you would find in much more expensive tools.
- Privacy First: The world is moving in a direction where privacy is becoming increasingly important. Google Analytics has been declared illegal in multiple EU countries. You would rather avoid getting caught up in this mess. Take privacy or compliance with regulations into account.
- Mini Websites: Have you ever seen “t.co” as a referrer in your web analytics? If you have, you must have broken your head trying to find the source. Simple Analytics helps you find the exact tweet that referred/mentioned to your website.
- Lightweight: Your website is your storefront on the internet. Providing the best possible experience matters. Installing an analytics script has an impact on page speed. Choose an analytics tool that won’t slow your website down. Even Google recommends having a website that loads quickly.
- Integration: Installing and integrating Simple Analytics is also super easy. It has 20+ integrations to select from, so you can get it added quickly.
Cons of using Simple Analytics
Due to privacy laws, Simple Analytics doesn’t store IPs and user identifiers, which makes it lack a couple of metrics, such as bounce rate, but it does have time on page to give you an idea of user stickiness.
Pricing of Simple Analytics
Simple Analytics offers one of the most affordable pricing structures in its segment. The plans start at just $9/month, which lets you track 100,000 data points.
If you need more features, data points, or team access, the pricing goes up to $49/month, increasing the data points limit from 100,000 to 1,000,000.
Features comparison between Matomo and Simple Analytics
|Trackable Items||Unlimited||30 to Unlimited|
|User Seats||1 to Unlimited users||30 to Unlimited|
|User Roles||Available||View, Write, Admin and Super User|
|Account Security||Passwordless Login||Single Sign-on / Two-factor Authentication|
|Data Retention||Unlimited||Unlimited and customizable|
|Data Center Locations||European Economic Area (EEA)||European Economic Area (EEA)|
|Data Import||GA importer included||Import search keywords or import GA reports|
|Software Hosting||Public Cloud||Public Cloud / On-Premise|
|Compliance||GDPR, PECR, CCPA||GDPR, CCPA, ePrivacy|
|Data Freshness||Realtime||15 minutes or more|
|Data Export||As CSV or via API||to CSV, XML, Json or Looker Studio or via HTTP API|
|Cookieless||Simple Analytics is cookieless||Matomo offers cookieless tracking|
|Funnel Reporting||Available||Basic funnel reporting|
|Device Reporting||Available (based on OS and screen sizes)||Available|
|Segmentation||Available||Based on visit, interaction, campaign, ecommerce, demographics & device|
|Alerts & Automation|
|Integrations||20+ Available and can send a request to the Simple Analytics team for more||100+ Available|
|Email Reports||Weekly, monthly||Detailed daily, weekly and monthly reports|
|Annotations||Available||On any graph or via API|
While Matomo provides a robust analytics platform, its complexity and maintenance requirements may not suit many users.
Simple Analytics, on the other hand, provides a worry-free, robust solution. If this resonates with you, feel free to give it a try!
FAQs: A Better Alternative to Matomo
Can Matomo be self-hosted?
Matomo does allow for self-hosting. Users can install Matomo on their own servers or hosting environment, giving them complete control over their data. For individuals that want a cloud-hosted method, Matomo also provides a managed service called Matomo Cloud.
Is Matomo suitable for small businesses?
Yes, Matomo is ideal for small enterprises. Both self-host and cloud versions are made affordable. It provides capabilities that let small businesses understand their website performance, improve conversions, and make data-driven decisions without jeopardizing privacy.
If you are a small business, you can also try Simple Analytics.
Can Matomo be used alongside other analytics tools?
Matomo may be utilized in conjunction with other analytics tools. It allows customers to import data from other systems, such as Google Analytics, giving them a consolidated picture of their website data or allowing them to smoothly shift between different analytics solutions.